Federal Perkins Loan FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who owns my loan?
A. Northwest Nazarene University.

Q. Who is ACS?
A. ACS Education Services is a billing service for your Federal Perkins Loan. ACS is under contract with NNU to perform the billing and accounting for your loan. You may visit their website at acs-education.com

Q. What if I did not receive a bill this month?
A. Payment is still due. You may make your payment online at acs-education.com, you may mail your payment directly to ACS if you have a prior billing coupon to send with your check, or you may send your payment to the address below:

Northwest Nazarene University
Business Office-Student Loans
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa ID 83686-5897 

Q. What is my account number?
A. Your account number begins with "50958," this is an identification number for ACS to identify an NNU loan. The "50958" is followed by nine characters unique to your loan. These characters are followed by "-00" if you have one Perkins loan through NNU or "-P" if you have multiple Perkins loans with NNU. (For example: 50958-B2H786670-00). Note: your social security number will work in place of the nine characters, but we recommend that you use your full 16 digit account number reflected on the statement from ACS.

Q. To whom do I make the check payable? 
A. Make your check payable to Northwest Nazarene University. It is helpfull to include your complete student loan account number on your check for accurate and timely processing.

Q. Will I be subject to a penalty if I pay my loan early?
A. No.

Q. May I make payments on my loan during periods where payments are not due?
A. Yes, you may make payment, but no billing statements will be sent to you. The easiest way to make these payments is online at ACS. You can also send payments to: 

Northwest Nazarene University  
Business Office-Student Loans
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa ID 83686-5897.

Q. What day of the month is my payment due?
A. Payments are always due on the 1st day of every month. Late fees are charged to past-due accounts on the 15th.

Q. What do I do if I cannot make my regularly scheduled installment?
A. Anytime you encounter temporary financial difficulties, contact Northwest Nazarene University at 208-467-8534.

Q. How can I obtain a deferment or cancellation request form?
A. These forms are available at this NNU website or by going to ACS.
Deferment Form    Cancellation form

Q. How can I obtain a forbearance form?
A. These forms are available at this website. Please note, this form is only if you attended and received your Perkins Loan from NNU. Forbearance Form

Q. How can I obtain information regarding the status of my account?
A. ACS has an interactive website. You may set up your online access to your account at acs-education.com. You may also obtain information regarding the status of your account by contacting ACS at the telephone number listed on your statement, toll free 800.826.4470. You may also contact NNU at 208-467-8534 or businessoffice@nnu.edu.

Q. What is Loan Rehabilitation?
A. If you default on your Federal Perkins Loan, you may rehabilitate your defaulted loan by requesting the rehabilitation and by making twelve on-time monthly payments. This monthly payment will be determined by NNU. If you successfully rehabilitate your defaulted loan, you will again be subject to the terms and conditions and qualify for the benefits and privileges of your original promissory note and the default will be removed from your credit history. You can rehabilitate a defaulted Federal Perkins Loan only once.

Q. What is the purpose of the Student Loan Ombudsman office?
A.  The Ombudsman's office is a resource for borrowers to use when other approaches to resolving student loan problems have failed. Borrowers should first attempt to resolve complaints by contacting NNU. If the borrower has made a reasonable effort to resolve the problem through the normal processes and has not been successful, he or she should contact the FSA Ombudsman. The Student Loan Ombudsman will review and attempt to informally resolve your dispute and may be reached at 1-877-557-2575 or visit the Ombudsman website.